Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tuna and Kimchi Stew Chamchi Kimchi Jjigae (참치 김치 찌개)

It has been forever since I last posted hasn't it? I'm really sorry but there has been a few things that have kept me busy, such as school T_T

But I did make time to blog on a Wednesday evening so you can't say that I forgot about you right?

Anyways, today I will be introducing you to a nice simple dish that is perfect of this cold weather. I will be introducing you to Tuna and Kimchi Stew Chamchi Kimchi Jjigae (참치 김치 찌개). This is a popular spin on the tradition kimchi stew.

There is not much for me to say about the dish so I will get straight into the recipe.

Ingredients
1½ Cups Kimchi
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Tuna
½ Tofu
¼ Onion
1 Green Onion
½ Green Hot Pepper
½ Red Hot Pepper
⅛ Cup Kimchi Juice
½ Tbsp Red Pepper Powder
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Salt

Method
1. Cut 1½ cups of kimchi into 1-inch pieces. It is important to use well-fermented kimchi for kimchi soup. Sour (old) kimchi works good also.
2. Slice ½ of a pack of tofu and ¼ of an onion into ½-inch pieces. Cut 1 green onion and the chilly peppers into 1-inch pieces.
3. Prepare 1 cup of tuna. Use all of the oil and tuna from the can for the soup.
4. In a pan, add the kimchi and 2 cups of water. Boil it on high.
5. Once the soup starts to boil, add the tuna.
6. Add the onion.
7. Then add kimchi juice, red pepper powder,minced garlic, and salt. Adjust the amount of salt depending on the saltiness on your kimchi. If you use tuna packaged in water instead of oil, add 1 Tbsp of vegetable or canola oil.
8. Cover the lid, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the kimchi is cooked.
9. 15 minutes later, add the tofu, green onion, and hot peppers.




And there you have it a simple dish to serve on a cold night. I can't wait for it to get a bit colder so I can start having this.

I do have school, and major exams in half a year, so the frequency of my posts may be less. Maybe once a fortnight or a month. I am sorry, but school is the priority.

But until next time, stay warm, healthy and happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment